Founded in 1952, the University is one of the earliest four institutions of higher learning established to offer foreign languages in the new China. It is also the only government-run institution of higher learning to offer foreign languages in the northwest. In the recent year, the University, taking a firm grip on the historic opportunity of big strides in higher education and large-scale development in the west, has realized transformation from an institution of single branch of foreign languages to a new type of interdisciplinary sort to cover the aspects of literature, economy, management, legal science, engineering and pedagogy by deepening reforms on teaching and adjusting structures of specialties. The University takes a total land area of 1,593mu, with a floor space of five hundred and fifty thousand square meters. There are multimedia classrooms, language labs, computer labs, electronic reading-rooms, computer networks, reception systems for satellite-relayed TV, etc.